2020 is gone, however it taught us a lot of things about ourselves. We learned to become more adaptable and resourceful in spite of what the year threw at us. I started 2020 with resolutions and productivity by taking part in workshops, seminar and master classes. They all contributed immensely but they didn’t prepare me for the emotional rollercoaster and uncertainty that the year brought on. 2021 is quite different, I am letting myself ease into the new year.
Typically, I’d have outlined my goals for the first 6 months of the new year on new year’s eve but instead I focused on gratitude and mindfulness. 2021 for me is about being in the present. Not looking back at the past or worrying about the future and how things would work itself out but being present, here and now. By being present you become more self aware, conscious of your surroundings, what it needs and how you can add value.
In addition to maintaining a healthy sleep pattern, working out and substituting television with books. I’d like to share 6 ways to boost your productivity and growth in 2021:
- Practice Self Love and Self Care: Self-love or self-care is not about taking a ‘me’ day, pampering yourself at the spa or taking yourself on a date to the movies or dinner. It is about addressing your inner being, asking yourself very valid and important questions and answering truthfully. Questions that address your inner turmoils and healing, sincere questions about who you are, what your capabilities are, what sets you off and how to understand your triggers, highlighting what no longer serves you and replacing them with things that are more substantial that will help you grow, healing from past pain to understanding the purpose of that pain and ultimately your purpose on earth. Self-care is not manicure or pedicure. It is doing the things that will help you move forward in life.
- Meditation and Affirmations: Declutter your mind. Let meditation be the first thing you do in the morning when you wake up, instead of checking your phone and follow it up with powerful affirmations and mantras. You also want to end the day with meditation before going to sleep as this will help leave the day’s worries where it should be instead of carrying it to the next day. You don’t have to do a yoga pose to meditate, you can meditate sitting down or lying down.
- Mind Mapping: I learnt this in one of the masterclasses I was part of early 2020. This is a really good way to conceptualize ideas and strategies for your projects, work, proposals, goals and more. A mind map is a visual thinking tool that helps connect relationships or smaller pieces of a big picture or central concept using a non-linear graphical layout. It is basically breaking down complex themes into actionable and absorbable parts. Here’s a tutorial on how to mind map below.
- Ditch Procrastination: A lot of us struggle with procrastination but for you to reach your maximum potential, you have to replace procrastination with self discipline and consistency. Procrastination is the number 1 thing that disrupts consistency and for you to grow, you need to be consistent. So, if you have decided to do something, follow through with it. You have made a commitment and this commitment is not only to your self but to others who will benefit from that thing you’ve done or set out to do.
- Accountability: For your projects, personal brand and self developments, hold yourself accountable. Create an accountability group on WhatsApp where a few people that are reliable can hold you accountable for the things you have set out to do and achieve. It doesn’t have to be a group, It can be a phone call from someone who is committed to holding you accountable for the goals and tasks you’ve set for yourself.
- Gratitude and Keeping a Journal: This is an integral part of your growth as it not only lets you appreciate what life has brought your way but also puts you in a receiving mode. Write in your journal, document your day and activities and also write in your journal the things you are grateful for. Build the muscle of gratitude and watch out it changes your life by even helping you be more mindful and receptive of abundance.
Let’s grow together in 2021. Happy New Year!
Leave a Reply